tax credit image

Jøtul wood stoves that qualify for the Biomass Tax Credit!

These Jøtul wood stoves qualify for the Biomass Tax Credit!

With the August 16, 2022, signing of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA), high-efficiency biomass heating products once again qualify for a tax credit under Section 25(C) of the Internal Revenue Code (“IRC” or “tax code”). This new 30 percent tax credit – capped at $2,000 annually – is available for appliances installed between January 1, 2023, and December 31, 2032. The credit can be used on the purchase and installation costs of qualifying appliances. To be eligible for the tax credit, an appliance must have a thermal efficiency of at least 75 percent per the higher heating value (HHV) of the fuel. The IRA removes our products from Sec. 25(D) of the tax code where appliances were eligible for an uncapped 26 percent tax credit in 2021 and 2022.

Manufacturer’s Certificate of Qualification

  • Effective Dates: The new tax credit under Sec. 25(C) of the U.S. Internal Revenue Code (“IRC” or “tax code”) is effect on January 1, 2023 for qualifying purchases and installations completed on or after that date, through December 31, 2032.
  • Credit Amount: Creates a new tax credit of 30 percent of the purchase and installation costs (with a $2,000 annual cap with no lifetime limit) for tax years 2023 through 2032.
  • Qualifying Products: Qualifying products (any biomass-fueled heater) must have a thermal efficiency of at least 75 percent per the higher heating value (HHV) of the fuel
    • The EPA certified wood heater database may be referenced (not all products on the EPA list qualify. Look for products with efficiencies of at least 75 percent)
    • A manufacturer certification statement attesting that a product qualifies can also be relied upon
    • What happens to the 25(C) tax credit that expired on December 31, 2020?
    • Eliminates the tax credit for biomass stoves under IRC Sec. 25(C) starting in 2021 and enacts this provision in its place
    • Any product purchased in 2020 that qualifies for the new Sec. 25(D) credit, but isn't installed until 2021, can be claimed under the Sec. 25(D) credit on a 2021 tax return. Products must be claimed on the tax return year in which the product installation is complete. 


How to Claim your tax credit on Wood Stoves purchased AFTER December 31, 2022:

Taxpayers may claim the credit on their federal income tax return form in the year in which product installation is complete. The credit is a reduction of total income tax owed. This is a non-refundable tax credit available for individuals who pay federal taxes and who make energy-conscious purchases to improve the energy efficiency of their home.

If your tax owed is reduced to zero by this credit, but you still have money left to claim, it the balance cannot be carried over to the next tax year to further reduce your tax burden in the future.

You should always consult a tax professional as individual situations may vary.

Paper Filing: The credit can be claimed on IRS Form 5695 on line 5, "Qualified biomass fuel property costs." 

Electronic Filing: If you are using tax filing software, the credit generally will be found under the "Credits" section of the Federal portion (Home and Vehicles– Residential Energy Credit or Credit Carryforward). On H & R Block, the credit is not under "Residential Energy Credits;" it can be claimed under the "Alternative Energy Credit." This is on the page after "Residential Energy Credits" after you indicate "No" when asked if you've made a purchase that qualifies for the "Residential Energy Credit." 

PAPERWORK: What paperwork should a consumer retain for their personal tax records?

You should retain (1) the sales receipt and any installation paperwork and (2) the manufacturer’s certification statement (if not available, documentation that the heater is at least 75 percent HHV efficient). 

The sales receipt and installation documentation demonstrates that you purchased and completed installation of the qualifying heater during the effective period of the credit. The retailer from whom you purchased the qualifying heater should also provide you with a manufacturer's certification statement indicating that the product qualifies for the tax credit. You aren't required to have a certification statement in order to claim the tax credit. A screenshot or printout of the product manual page listing the efficiency as at least 75 percent efficient per the HHV is sufficient.

The certification statement should contain the name and address of the manufacturer; the class of qualified energy property; the make, model number and any other appropriate identifiers of the heater; a statement that the product is eligible; and a declaration, signed by a person currently authorized to bind the manufacturer in these matters (e.g., I attest that I have examined this certification statement, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, the facts are true, correct, and complete.).

Tax Credit Certificate